- Evelyn Greenleaf Sutherland’s play Po’ White Trash, published in 1900, exposes complicated cultural tensions in the post-Reconstruction South, at the heart of which is the racial status of poor whites.
- In Sherwood Anderson‘s 1920 novel Poor White, a Southerner who thinks of himself as “poor white trash” makes his way as an inventor in a small Midwestern town.
- In Margaret Mitchell‘s 1936 novel Gone with the Wind, and the 1939 movie by the same name, the term is used several times, always pejoratively, by both the black and the white characters. Neighbor Emmie Slattery is described by Mammy as “poor white trash” when Ellen O’Hara goes to midwife her illegitimate baby.
- Zora Neale Hurston‘s Seraph on the Suwanee (1948) explores images of ‘white trash’ women. Jackson (2000) argues that Hurston’s meditation on abjection, waste, and the construction of class and gender identities among poor whites reflects the eugenics discourses of the 1920s.
- In William Faulkner‘s 1953 novel Requiem for a Nun, Ratcliffe is described as “father of an equally long and pure line of white trash tenant farmers”.
- In Harper Lee‘s 1960 novel To Kill a Mockingbird, the dangerous Ewell family is referred to as “white trash”.
- In Maya Angelou‘s 1969 autobiography I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, she mentioned that the “powhitetrash” kids would come from down the hills and cause trouble at her grandmother’s store in Stamps, Arkansas.
Content derived from: White Trash
- Trailer trash
- Bogan and Hoon, in Australian and New Zealand English slang
- List of ethnic slurs
Below content derived from White trash (disambiguation)
White trash is an American pejorative term for socially disadvantaged Caucasian people.
White trash may also refer to:
- White Trash (band), a British pop group
- White Trash (metal band), a funk metal band based in Queens, New York
- “White Trash” (Junior Senior), the last track on the album D-D-Don’t Stop the Beat
- “White Trash” (song), the debut single by New Zealand band Steriogram
- White Trash (comics), Gordon Rennie‘s series for Tundra Publishing
- “White Trash”, a song by Bad Religion from their 1982 album How Could Hell Be Any Worse?
- “White Trash” (single), a single released in 2008 by electro-industrial band Funker Vogt.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Rural Southern By Zora Neale Hurston (1928) (harlemworldblog.wordpress.com)
- Arizona Fans Do Not Like White Trash Cracker Iowa Fans [Video] (deadspin.com)
- Kim Alsbrook’s White Trash art (lostateminor.com)
- Toazted Interview – Jack Parow (part 1) – Lowlands 2010 (woelag.co.za)
- As someone who has a family that has been called “white trash” or “low class” (or even hicks, hillbillies, rednecks, etc.) repeatedly, I am interested in the discussion of classist stereotypes. In terms of ghetto, I still have a lot of friends that will s (ihatethismess.tumblr.com)
- Birth tourism, Swedish trash, PTSD definition expanded (investoralist.com)
- Tiiu Kuik Gets Naked for a Fashion Film of the Day (drunkenstepfather.com)
- Palin’s tweets her naked racism…. (tagg-lines.com)
- Britney Spears Tells Her Sons She is ‘White Trash’ (inquisitr.com)
- 35 Mullets, Toupees & Combovers – From Hair Transformation Editorials to “White Trash Weddings” (CLUSTER) (trendhunter.com)